Souvlaki is one of the most popular dishes found on the streets of Greece, and it is easy to see why! Souvlaki is skewered meat grilled to perfection and served either as a sandwich with pita bread and tzatziki sauce or as a plated meal with Greek rice and salad. Traditional souvlaki is prepared with chicken or pork, yet we prefer lamb souvlaki any day!
- Cube a shoulder or leg roast for skewers.
- If using wooden skewers, soak in warm water for 10-30 minutes before threading with meat to prevent skewers from cooking with the food.
- Make sandwiches with warmed pita bread or serve warmed pita bread on the side of the plate.
- Check out our Tzatziki recipe under ‘Greek Feta Burgers’ post to pair with souvlaki.
For the Lamb:
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat, 350-400* F.
- Cube meat and place in a shallow pan.
- Season to taste with kosher salt, granulated garlic, fresh ground pepper, lemon pepper and oregano.
- Thread meat on skewers. Sprinkle more seasonings on meat, if needed.
- Grill skewers on medium-high heat, for 3-5 minutes on each side. For medium-rare lamb, cook to 145* and for medium lamb, cook to 160*.
- Remove from heat and pour fresh, squeezed lemon juice over the top. Allow meat to rest for 5-10 minutes before serving.